Supports the Executive Chef in overseeing the day-to-day administration and culinary operations of the hotel. This person is responsible for training, supervising and working with the culinary staff in order to prepare, cook and present menu items consistent with the Hotel's culinary standards and excellence. Monitors and controls kitchen maintenance/sanitation; labor and food costs; creating and enforcing standards. The Sous Chef must be a liaison with all departments within the kitchen and all other hotel departments.
FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead by example on the line either manning a station or expediting service.
- Plan and organize purchasing and food preparation. Ensure proper daily opening and closing of kitchens. Delegate responsibility effectively to use the strengths of the entire culinary team. Perform administrative tasks as assigned by the Executive Chef.
- Assist in creating and implementation innovative dishes and plate presentations with other Sous Chefs/F&B Director/Executive Chef.
- Enforce all Health department codes re: cleanliness, time/temperature standards, and approved methods of heating, cooling and reconstituting products for service.
- Observing workers engaged in preparing, portioning, and garnishing foods to ensure that methods of cooking and garnishing and sizes of portions are as prescribed.