Job Title: Land Accountant
Reports to: Land Controller
FLSA Classification: Salary/Exempt
Effective Date: Dec 1, 2021
Full Time - Waimea, HI, US, Requisition ID: 1063
The Land Accountant will be responsible for ensuring all lease and land related revenues and expenses are properly posted to the Land Division. This position must possess a strong understanding of GAAP principles, accrual based financial statements, internal controls, and be comfortable with intercompany transactions. This position will assist the Controller in formulating budgets, forecasts, and management reporting for the Land enterprises and serve as a backup when necessary. Will need to understand the different operations within the Land Division which includes alternative land use, development lands, lease portfolio, special projects, and general & administrative. Will be responsible for timely and accurate processing of all accounting transactions and reconciliations, including hardwoods related inventory, production, and sales transactions, and must possess a strong understanding of revenue recognition rules. APPLY >>>
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Obtain a solid understanding of agreements to accurately invoice customers and ensures billings are approved in accordance with the company policy. Work with department management to provide customer lease notifications and resolve any discrepancies. Responsible for accurate revenue calculations that comply with agreements. Regularly provide management with accurate aging reports and rent rolls on a timely basis. Work with appropriate personnel and customers directly as needed to collect amounts due. 20%
• Prepares journal entries related to the Land enterprises and complete monthly balance sheet reconciliations. Prepares management entries that include mark to market and unrealized gain calculations. Assists with preparation of land transaction memos and accounting treatment. 15%
• Assists with period-end and year-end “close” of general ledger for all companies and subsidiaries ensuring proper revenue recognition and cut-offs. Reviews P&L for accuracy and completeness. 15%
• Receives documentation from hardwoods facility, ensures the accuracy of the documents, inputs data, and completes necessary sales, production, and inventory transactions. Monthly reviews income statement to ensure that manufacturing variances are properly accounted for. Annually reviews and updates standard costs to ensure that standards represent current production costs. Performs cycle counts as necessary and is responsible for leading the annual physical inventory. Ensures timely and accurate reporting and billing of customers, posting of payments, and collections. 15%
• Provide support needed for financial reports, audits, budgets, tax preparation, and ad-hoc reports. Perform and/or lead special projects as requested by Land Controller or other management staff. 10%
• Accurately records project expenses, monitors project performance, and maintains project tracking reports as needed. Tracks and monitors fixed assets. 10%
• Ensure vendor invoices are recorded to the correct account and enterprise and in the correct period based on month of service. Work with other accountants, as necessary, to ensure accruals are properly considered when posting invoices. 5%
• Understands budgets and forecast for the Land Division. Helps Land Controller and Land Department forecast expenses and prepare annual budgets. 5%
• Participate in ongoing efforts to streamline and improve accounting systems and processes. Document policies/procedures and processes if no prior documents exist and update as processes evolve. 5%
• This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
CORE VALUES AND CORPORATE CULTURE
To cultivate value for the benefit of the Trust and Beneficiaries in a prudent, thoughtful, and meaningful manner for current and future generations in and around Waimea.
OUR CORE VALUES:
• Respectful, Kind, and Positive
• Honest, Trusting, and Reflective
• Ethical, Dignified, and Mindful
• Collaborative, Professional, Accountable, and Hardworking
• Competitive, Curious, Innovative, and Determined
• Compassionate, Forgiving, Supportive, and Hopeful
• Bachelor’s degree with major in Business, Accounting, or other related discipline or equivalent experience preferred.
• Five years or more of accounting experience in a business office setting with prior experience working in accounting on an accrual basis. Ten years of progressive accounting experience if no Bachelor’s degree.
• Lease and property accounting experience preferred.
• Project accounting experience preferred.
• Computer skills required: Experience in Microsoft Office products. Experience with Acumatica and Adaptive systems preferred.
• Other skills required: Great attention to detail and ability to manage multiple deadlines effectively.
• High level of professionalism, attention to details, and customer service.
• Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
• Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
• Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
• Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
• Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
• Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
• Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
• Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
• Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
• Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
• Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
• Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
• Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Occasionally required to stand
• Occasionally required to walk
• Continually required to sit
• Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
• Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
• Frequently required to talk or hear
• Occasionally required to taste or smell
• Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions (non-weather)
• Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions
• While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include: Close vision; Distance vision; Color vision; Peripheral vision; Depth perception and ability to adjust focus
• Specialized equipment, machines, or vehicles used: 10-key calculator
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.